How do I use Holybro telemetry on MacBook Pro?

Hello, I’m beginner of px4.
I’m using Holybro 433MHz telemetry for my Pixhawk drone.

The problem is, I’m a MacBook Pro user, and there are only 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports on the device.
But I cannot find out how to change the baud rate of telemetry. I think the default baud rate on my MacBook Pro is 9600 bps. (needed to change to 115200 bps)
When I’m using Window, there was no problem, I could do port setup in “Device Management”.
Strangely with Parallels, the virtual machine, everything goes smoothly without any additional task. In virtual Window OS circumstance, QGroundControl(window version) automatically and fully detect telemetry.

I’m a classical window user and this might be the reason why I’m wandering.
Please let me know how to use this telemetry and change the USB serial port’s baud rate.

I need to figure this out as well.

Bad news for you - I plugged it in and it just worked on both my macs.
I did install FTDI drivers on one but not the other Mac.
You could try that from the FTDI web site, but from what you posted it look like it sees the device.
It did not seem to work at first, but then it did. Wish I could say why.
I will say that on both mac and pc I never set a baud rate.
Virtual com ports don’t really care about baud rate because there is no actual serial port.

I am having a similar issue , but I do not even see the device in /dev/tty*. I did install FTDI drivers successfully (at least it said it was successful). The telemetry radio is working fine on a Win10 machine, but I would like to get it working on my MAC Boook Pro. I tried the released QGC and the Daily build, and both failed to connect. I assume this is more of a Mac issue than QGC. Please let me know if there is something else I need to do.

Well you could look at this is you haven’t already:

Have you tried setting the baud rate to 57600? I believe HolyBro uses a lower one. That’s what I discovered when I was messing around with the ESP8266

Also, maybe give screen /dev/tty.usbserial-DN04KFEY 115200 a try or 57600

With QCG on mac I set nothing or windows either for that matter.
The thing is with USB serial device normally the baud rate does not matter at all because the device knows about the baud rate of the device it is talking to.
That is the usb chip on the device is between you and the actual device and it knows what to do.
Of course if you are talking to a real serial port you may have to set the baud rate.

This is the only device I see before and after plugging in the HolyBro.

% ls /dev/tty.*
/dev/tty.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port

Basically HolyBro device not detected.

On an older MacBook Air 10.13, I see the HolyBro after plugging it in and QCG works properly. This is in the ls /dev/tty.* for that machine.
/dev/tty.usbserial-D306T0YX

I did try installing FTDI drivers, but that did not help. I am not sure if HolyBro has an FTDI chip.
HolyBro and Apple to see if they have any solutions.

Alright, let’s get some more information
What hardware are you using?

Here is the Hardware:

MacBook Pro:

Catalina 10.15.6
MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2018, Four ThunderBolt
3 Ports
2.7 Ghz Quad-Core Intel i7
16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 MB

Screen Shot 2020-08-27 at 6.16.44 PM

Telemetry Radio
HolyBro Radio V3 915 MHz

Micro USB to USB A cable

USB A to USB C Adapter (Apple Model A1632)

The HolyBro radio communicates with an identical radio on a HoverGames FMU running PX4. That works correctly with QGroundControlControl.

The HolyBro Radio and Micro USB to USB A work on an older MacBook Air and Win 10 PC.

The Micro USB to USB Cable plus USB A to USB C adapter work when connecting directly to the HoverGames FMU.

Since I can’t see any changes in ls /dev/tty.* after plugging in the HolyBro I am guessing OS X is not detecting the HolyBro.

On my working machines, with QGroundControl running, with drone off (which means HolyBro is off on the drone side) when plugging in the HolyBro to USB, there is a red LED that flashes on the HolyBro. I do not see that with plugging into my MacBook Pro.

I hope that HW info helps.

FWIW WIndows reports it as FTDI.

@mjmurray Did you figure it out? I just bought an additional (used) telemetry kit and ended up wasting some time on the driver update game until I realized that the root cause was much simpler: the USB cable that the seller included does not have the necessary data lines, it’s just a two-wire power supply cable with a micro USB plug swapped from some other electronic set. I replaced the cable with another that I know would work and the radio is now connecting to OS and QGC.

Make sure the USB cable and adapters you’re using are proper and have data lines for connectivity.

1 Like

@adzio thanks for the reply. I did check the cable and that was not the issue. I used the same radio, cable, and adapter on another MacBook (not Pro) and everything worked.

I still haven’t resolved the issue. HolyBro wasn’t able to see my issue and could not provide a solution for me. Right now I am using an older MacBook when connecting in the field with the radios.

Another thing I experienced is that the original FTDI VCP driver doesn’t play well with the Apple one in Catalina. During the aforementioned troubleshooting of my telemetry radios I ended up installing FTDIUSBSerialDriver_v2_4_4 but then noticed that my other serial devices would be affected. The driver and device would work initially (after system restart) but once the device disconnected the internal representation /dev/tty.* character file would not be re-created after plugging the device back in. If you never restart the Mac but hibernate then the serial device would not come back.

In fact, it looked like the driver was being created twice with /dev/tty.usbserial-XXXX and /dev/tty.usbserial-2, when both the original Apple and the FTDI drivers coexisted. The output of the lsusb port on Darwin confirmed this; the FTDI device was displayed twice (!).

I ended up following the FTDI instructions on how to remove their driver (section 4.2 in AN_134_FTDI_Drivers_Installation_Guide_for_MAC_OSX.pdf) and things got back to normal for FTDI serial. I wonder if this is the case for you as well.

@adzio I could not get the Holybro Telemetry Radio to show up in /dev/tty.* with or without the FTDI driver. So it looks like I am not seeing the same issues as you.

When the driver was installed, I did not have any other serial devices, so I cannot say if there was any conflict with the FTDI driver.