Cube Orange Support Thread

Hey community I’m putting together a list of issues known to the Cube Orange, if you are currently working with a Cube Orange and PX4 or have worked with them in the past and know of an issue, please share it below. We are hoping to make a plan to address some of the major issues together with the manufacturer (Cubepilot).

1 Like

Hi! In the latest PX4 firmware version (1.13), I can not use the MAVLink Console inside QGC (Connected to the Cube Orange by USB). I type the commands and there is no feedback of the system at all. The python script mavlink_shell.py also fails to connect to the board.

2 Likes

I know that in late June, the Cube Orange could not have firmware flashed using a Windows PC. I believe this was a known issue and Daniel Agar is fixing the USB driver issue for Windows.

2 Likes

I WOULD LIKE TO SEE

A) IF THE LOGGING OF FLIGHT DATA IN PX4 ORANGE CUBE CAN BE UPDATED OR
IMPROVED TO HELP A LAYMAN UNDERSTAND THE LOGGED INFORMATION
WITH MORE CLARITY IN DETAIL.

B) CUBE ORANGE (PX4 FIRMWARE) MUST BE ABLE TO RECEIVE MAVLINK
MESSAGES THRO’ TELEM 1 OR 2 PORT AND TRANSMIT AND RECEIVE TO / FROM
COMPANION COMPUTER SUCH AS RASPBERRY PI

C) ANY OPTION THROUGH THE LOGGING DATA TO SEE THE SIGNAL STRENGTH OF
THE CONNECTED RADIO EQUIPMENT

D) Interfacing obstacle sensors like Benwake( TF-LUNA) or any other compatible
manufacturers using i2c protocol

E) The built-in COMPASS and GPS inside ORANGE CUBE is not available/ cannot be seen
as a second option in Px4- QGC app if there is a failure in the primary GPS

F) PROPER STREAMING OF ADSB MESSAGES REGARDING LIVE FLIGHT DATA.

G) PROVIDING PROPER USB DRIVERS TO INSTALL PX4 FIRMWARE THROUGH
WINDOWS OS IN ORANGE CUBE WITHOUT PLAYING A TRIAL AND ERROR
METHOD USING ZADIG DRIVERS !!

Hey @sibujacob, thanks for taking the time to comment. However, we are not putting together a feature list but instead collecting known issues so we can work to get the cube orange on par with any other flight controller that is adequately supported with PX4

I agree fully here but if you carefully read what i have written , those are not new features but existing ones which probably like myself have wasted long time in configuring the CUBE orange when there were so many other flight controllers which are far superior and half the price of CUBE ORANGE !!
Wish you good luck !!

same issue as @matheus-ps mentioned. This is the highest priority for me now.

I am willing to try out the Cube Orange again. Previously, a few years ago, we were not able to use it due to very high power usage with the default settings. This was on a S500. I will create a Cube Orange based setup again, in the next few days.

Happy to try it out! :slight_smile:

If using 1.13, and the console won’t work, try this out:
Mavlink console does not appear to be working · Issue #19831 · PX4/PX4-Autopilot · GitHub

Fixed the problem in my case. Enough so I can connect for now.

Hi,
Can you please elaborate what sort of current draw issue you have with the Orange CUBE . I am using the HJX640 QUAD frame with 13x 5 props. It is working fine except i have problem receiving the ADSB -IN signals/ messages

Of course, I will. I need to assemble the quad first, that will take some time now.

1 Like

I am using the px4 stable version
Software Version: v1.12.3
OS Version: NuttX, v8.2.0
Estimator: EKF2

For me the Mavlink console is working and i am able to send Mavlink commands via my GCS

*px4 stable version*
*Software Version: v1.12.3*
*OS Version: NuttX, v8.2.0*
*Estimator: EKF2*

I need FD CAN support in order to incorporate the Orange Cube into our product. It appears that Nuttx supports FD CAN, but I cannot find that support in PX4. The Black Cube/PX4 supports 2 CAN buses, when will the Orange Cube/PX4 support 2 CAN buses?

TIA!

Hi,

Can the below link assist with your query

Ok, I have an update: finally assembled my S500 with Cube Orange, put PX4 1.13.0 on it and it flew very well. I am not sure what we experienced in the beginning, a few years ago, but at the moment it’s all fine for me wrt the basics.

Cheers,
Raymond

1 Like

Thanks @reedev good to know

cc @dagar

Ok, I had an interesting experience today, with a failing calibration of a Cube Orange based setup. I cannot calibrate this setup and I wonder how to report this. I would love to help but at this moment the best I can do is testing and reporting.

The biggest difference compared to last time is that this Cube is recent (not sure if there are different revisions or so) and that I use a Here3 connected via CAN. The S500 setup that I reported earlier uses a Here2 (and therefore of cource i2c).

Update 2022 0827: I mounted the Here3 (CAN) on the S500 with the Cube Orange and that’s going well too. I would really like to find out what’s going on so if there are developer with who I can discuss things, I am happy to sort out things!

This was constantly reported:
Accel 1 clipping, not safe to fly!
Land now, and check the vehicle setup. Clipping can lead to fly-aways.
[cal] accel 1 invalid Y-axis, check rotation

What’s the best way to proceed?

I would say create a log from boot with high rate sensor logging where you do the calibration to show how it fails. Then you stop the log and upload the logfile to logs.px4.io and link it in a PX4 issue (or here). That would probably be helpful data.

The params would be:

2 Likes

We sometimes observe that the Cube Orange looses all its parameters or set them to default values.
We have no clue why or in which situations the reset occures. Only thing we noticed is that it mostly occures when we do a “Reboot Vehicle” via QGroundControl.
Currently in use is a custom version of PX4 1.13 with enabled RTPS. But have seen simular resets of the parameters in version 1.12.3.

Regards
Jannis