New Android Controller by SIYI

@Rickyg32 what’s your experience with this controller so far? Any feedback you’d like to share?

Well can’t say a lot just yet as it only arrived last night.
But here are my observations so far.
First the controller feels good in my hand however that sucker is heavier then I expected.
It comes with a neck strap and so that’s getting used for sure.
The display seems to work very well and boots up at a reasonable speed. however mine was in Chinese…that was a challenge…It turned out to be an error and the manufacturer was very apologetic. I was able to change the language fairly easily so just a minor issue.
I had the standard stick layout setup at the factory so the rubber around the sticks is removed. The sticks themselves feel good. The throttle is a bit heavy. But I don’t mind that as I am not a racer.
There are rubber seals around the plug in ports, not sure I like them. Their fit is a little off but once you get them pressed down they fit well enough.
The switches are all weather proof switches which is great. They all have a good feel to them.
There is a removable battery, I have asked if more will be available. I could see keeping one in the bag for those long flying days.
The display seems to work well even on a bright day. I will find out more on that in the coming days.

Now the receiver. That is interesting. It’s big and a bit on the heavy side. It came with two large heavy rubber dipole antenna…Serious looking receiver to say the least. Its very pro looking…but those antenna have to go. To big for any drone I fly…even my 1 meter drones, well these are to big. I reported that back to the vendor and they will look into it.
The Receiver has it’s own power adapter…kinda nice, its solid metal for the heat. It has an XT60 connector on it. So my test rig I will need to mod the power system to accommodate it.

The camera is one solid piece of kit. Its heavy metal I believe for the LED so they have a heat sink. It comes with a mount that has dampeners on it. I assume to take the bounce out of the camera. The thing is there is no way to mount the camera on the drone even with the dampener. So I will 3d print something. I have asked the vendor if a different camera will be available. No news yet.

It comes with two straps. One is a case strap and the other is a neck strap for the hand held.
It also has a USB charger and a firmware upgrade tool.

The whole setup comes in a nice case. I prefer a hard sided case but what it comes in does a nice job.

I have a series of questions into the vendor about batteries.
Manual
and general use.

So far I like it. I will work on my test rig in the next 10 days and see how that all works out. Then see if I can get it airborne

So you’ve opted for this rather than the Skydroid T12. Did you get it from RC-Wing.com or directly from SIYI? Looking forward to your report.

Thanks.

Hey Rollys.
So I have not settled on either at this point. I got it direct from SIYI. There is a lot i like about it. But there is a lot the T12 has that this doesn’t.

I also got the M12 and T12 direct.
I am not looking to annoy Cao and the team. They have been great. I just had an opportunity to give this a try and took it.

Whenever you can confirm, I’m curious what its best resolution and framerate the camera broadcasts at.

Thanks.

Hey Rollys
The camera on its own ways in at 134 grams.

So interesting. I cracked the case on the camera. Inside there are 4 parts. Two LED units and the camera. Plus some form of board that everything attaches to. You can see in the photo.
I suspect you could hack it such that that camera is removed and wired up separately. IT would take some investigation.
The real issue I think is that the metal housing has the mounting for the lens. I think it would need to have a new housing designed and printed to hold the lens in the right spot. Not saying it can’t be done. In fact I am going to look long and hard at doing it. But I dont’ know what other creatures lay ahead captain.

It certainly looks doable.

Or may be just simply uninstall the two LEDs from the case or as you mentioned earlier, 3D print to replace it, if will be any lighter.

In any event, I’d be interested to see how the recorded resolution would look like.

Good luck.

Why in your website the control range is only 2KM?

http://en.siyi.biz/en/ak28/specs/

Thanks very much for all your feedback here regarding the AK28 transmitter. We are very excited that it has got a good first-impression from you.

It was a mistake. The language settings should be changed before delivery. We were careless with your unit, it should not occur again.

There is a removable battery, I have asked if more will be available. I could see keeping one in the bag for those long flying days.

There are spare batteries already. There will also be a charging hub which supports fast-charging for three batteries at the same time. I think you can have them soon if you would like to.

It came with two large heavy rubber dipole antenna…Serious looking receiver to say the least. Its very pro looking…but those antennae have to go. Too big for any drone I fly…even my 1-meter drones, well these are too big.

Sorry for not confirming receiver antenna with you before delivery. For you and other potential users, SIYI can provide three different antennas except for the original one. You can choose one among them as you wish. If your favorite antenna type was missing, please feel free to let us know.

Original receiver antenna - Plastic Shell - 2.4GHz

Small antenna with rubber - 2.4GHz

Small antenna without rubber - 2.4GHz

Small antenna longer version - 2.4GHz

Good luck with your test, Richard!

Please note that 2KM is the effective ground to ground control range with video transmission at three meters’ height, which is the usual flight height of agricultural spraying drones.
For other UAV drones which can fly ground to sky the control range can reach 4KM.

Welcome to buy the model from any sellers authorized by SIYI.
However, if you prefer to get SIYI’s direct response to your requirement, you can write an email to info@siyi.biz with brief words to help us understand your needs well.

Understand.Just a little confused that you mentioned above the range can reach 10km.

I noticed the price is only 629USD,I have to say it’s a great price, cheaper than herelink’s model.

Radio and datalink can go to 10KM and even beyond. We prefer not to declare the distance without videolink as “Control Range/Distance” for AK28.

I noticed the price is only 629USD,I have to say it’s a great price, cheaper than herelink’s model.

The retail price is 649USD, I am sure that it displays lower on rc-wing website, we will contact them to fix it later.

Also now available at Holybro: https://shop.holybro.com/siyi-ak28-android-smart-remote-controller_p1158.html

1 Like

@JingerZ have you done a firmware update on your controller. If so how did you do it.
I have the bin file…but no clue how to run the update.

I will always follow this post.

Got mine installed on a test drone now.
Going to run through the calibrations today if I have time and then see if it arms.
Perhaps a maiden this weekend.

I would be more than welcome to try one out and give my feedback, just DM me and I’ll give you my information for shipping.