How to find Generic Quadplane airframe type with Pixhawk 2.4.8

Hello,

I have a new Pixhawk 2.4.8 with FMUv2 firmware that Iā€™d like to use for a VTOL Quadplane project. Anyways, after I install the PX4 firmware using qgroundcontrol, in the airframe setup I cannot find any VTOL airframe types.

I understand that the possible fix would be to update the bootloader to FMUv3? Bootloader Update | PX4 User Guide (v1.14)

However I cannot find the SYS_BL_UPDATE parameter.

Would be glad of any assistance in how to find this parameter or if thereā€™s another way to enable VTOL airframe types for the Pixhawk 2.4.8!

Figured this out! Once I installed older PX4 version (1.13) FMUv2, I was then able to access the SYS_BL_UPDATE parameter and follow the rest of the instructions

1 Like

Hmmm, so when you installed PX4 v1.13 you see SYS_BL_UPDATE but not when you installed the PX4 development firmware (ā€œMasterā€ in qgc, but actually the build from main branch). Is that right?

FWIW Pixhawk 2.4.8 is very very old technology and even running FMU v3 isnā€™t great. In particular you might find some code isnā€™t installed by default.

Yes, thatā€™s right. As Iā€™m new to PX4, Iā€™m planning on using the 2.4.8 to learn about PX4 and autonomous drones in general and then move on to some of the newer, more expensive flight controllers

Thanks @josh8991

A little searching shows this is a known issue rc.board_bootloader_upgrade isn't compiled in. No SYS_BL_UPDATE Ā· Issue #20592 Ā· PX4/PX4-Autopilot Ā· GitHub