FMUv3 unit showing up as FMUv2

I have been using Pixhawk1’s from mRo. Their units are made to FMUv3 specs. When I flash the PX4 firmware, it says its FMUv2. I went thru the process of downloading the latest developer version of PX4 which is supposed to update the bootloader so that it recognizes it as v3. I am now able to load the v3 firmware, but the bootloader still says its v2. Any way to fix this?

Thanks,
Joe

1 Like

You can update the bootloader using a jtag programmer, but you must solder solder few cables on jtag pins located on your board

1 Like

You can update the bootloader by simply using QGroundControl.

Good luck.

rollys: I used this procedure but ran into a problem because I cannot locate the parameter SYS_BL_UPDATE. According to the procedure, I cannot update the bootloader without this param.

“This approach can only be used if SYS_BL_UPDATE is present in firmware (currently just FMUv2 and some custom firmware).”

Where do I go from here?

Joe

Did you install the master version?

1 Like

Yes. I installed the Developer Build (master) v1.10.0beta. Looked for SYS_BL_UPDATE but its not in the parameter list. So I followed the instructions anyway and rebooted. Still no SYS_BL_UPDATE. So then I updated firmware again to v 1.9.2 stable. When doing this, it says device found: FMUv2. But it also says the software is px4_fumv3_default. So it appears I’m running the right software on FMUv2??? Doesn’t make sense. I checked with mRo and my boards are definitely FMUv3, but they keep being identified as v2.

So do i have a problem or not?

Joe

Try this older procedure that mRo used to do to update their boards.

Good luck.

How to Update Pixhawk Bootloader to v5.pdf (1.0 MB)

The reference you provided is not for the Pixhawk1, its for their x2.1, so this is not the same animal. I’m reluctant to use the procedure because it may cause problems with the Pixhawk1.

I talked to Christian at mRo and he said this issue is not present with Mission Planner and Ardupilot, which they have more experience with. However he was not sure of how to resolve the issue with PX4 running on their Pixhawk1.

Joe

I used that procedure on three Pixhawk 1’s before QGC came up with their procedure. But, that’s your prerogative. Just trying give options. By the way, that procedure was provided by one of mRobotic’s principal.

Good luck.

I came across this reference to FMUv3 vs FMUv2 in GitHub:

# this file lists all board types for boards that use the bootloader
# protocol implemented in this bootloader.

TARGET_HW_PX4_FMU_V1                    5
TARGET_HW_PX4_FMU_V2                    9
TARGET_HW_PX4_FMU_V3                    9 # same as FMU_V2
TARGET_HW_PX4_FMU_V4                   11
TARGET_HW_PX4_FMU_V4_PRO               13
TARGET_HW_PX4_FMU_V5                   50
TARGET_HW_PX4_FMU_V5X                  51
TARGET_HW_PX4_FMU_V6                   52
TARGET_HW_PX4_FMU_V6X                  53

It appears that they are the same thing and it doesn’t matter what QGC says it is, the px4_fmuv3_default firmware will run fine using the extended 2 MB memory.

For now I will consider this a non-issue unless it becomes a problem. I plan to fly this drone next week.

Joe

I encountered the same issue.
Have you fixed it?