VTOL Forward transition not complete - Babyshark Airframe

Hello all,

I’m having an issue while flying my Babyshark VTOL airframe, I can’t complete the forward transition.

I’m using mostly the recommended specs from the seller, and the resultant weight is less than the MTOW.
All of the relevant values for the transition were set to default.

The problem is that the GPS speed is way higher than the True Airspeed, and it simply can´t reach the minimum airspeed ( even though the GPS speed is way above it ) …

I’m posting a log of my last flight with it, it clearly shows that the speed has not been reached but was very close: here

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hello, @LightningPORTO

My guess is that when you entered foward transition mode, The VTOL flied with the backwind. VTOL is recommended to fly in the forward direction wind, especially if the transition is performed using airspeed data.

Hello @eogks465 ,

There was no relevant wind in the area. Maybe something else?

@LightningPORTO

It seems difficult to estimate the wind speed and direction as the flight was conducted at an altitude of 200 m or higher. However, when looking at the groundspeed and true airspeed data, it seems that the forward transition was performed in the back direction wind.

To complete the forward transition, it is recommended to change the size of the pusher motor prop to a larger one or increase the forward transition time.

• On the next flight, calibrate the airspeed sensor before the flight.
  • After calibration, check to make sure airspeed is as closest to zero as possible unless you can detect wind on the ground and is approximately what your sensor is showing.
  • Try lowering VT_ARSP_TRANS to 18 or 19.
  • As mentioned previously, definitely transition into the wind.
  • Test the transition in Stabilize or Altitude flight mode to make sure it works.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the feedback, these will be the main points of focus on my next flight.

I will let you guys know how it went after :slight_smile:

Once again, thank you, and stay safe!