SIH is disabled with the Cube Orange Plus. Is it a good idea to enable it?

Good afternoon,

I have recently been trying to simulate a hardware environment on the Cube Orange Plus. I am using PX4 1.14 on it and I was having issues running HITL on it that matches the issues posted here: [Bug] HITL simulation motors not spinning PX4 v1.14.0 · Issue #22625 · PX4/PX4-Autopilot · GitHub

As an alternative, I was considering running SIH on the Cube Orange Plus. However, when putting the vehicle into SIH mode, it was not showing on the map on QGC and arming / taking off was not working. I figured out it was because CONFIG_MODULES_SIMULATION_SIMULATOR_SIH=y was not included on the default.px4board for cubepilot_cubeorangeplus.

I was thinking it was quite odd that other boards had SIH support but the Cube Orange Plus did not, so I did some investigating. I found with the regular Cube Orange, it did have SIH, but it was removed to save flash memory. Commit link is here: boards: cubepilot_cubeorange_default disable SIH simulator to save flash · PX4/PX4-Autopilot@70a7edb · GitHub

I added the argument back on Cube Orange Plus and SIH worked for me, but I was curious if it is a bad idea to have SIH enabled on the cube orange plus. I am not very familiar with the low level architecture of it. Does SIH waste enough flash memory where it would be a problem to have on it?

1 Like

My guess is that it would be a bad idea since the cube orange plus has the same amount of flash and ram as the cube orange

I suggest to disable some other module or driver that you don’t need and instead enable SIH.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Figured out what it means by flash memory. Yeah, base cube orange plus build has enough spare flash memory to fit SIH, but it comes really close

Yeah thank you for your solution. It also solved the issue I opened