QGroundControl enable hardware safety switch

Hi all,
I am a newbie with PX4 and drones in general. I have a quad frame, with Pixhawk flight controller.
Initially I was using Mission Planner and after setting up the flight controller I would take it out to fly. I would press the hardware safety switch which came with the flight controller, and arm the drone while moving throttle stick in bottom-right position on my RC. This would arm the drone and motors will start spinning.

Now I am trying the same with QGroundControl but not able to arm. I see that it only gets armed/disarmed if the flight controller is connected to QGC. Even pressing the hardware safety switch won’t do anything if drone is not connected to QGC. I have setup aux arm channel and a switch on my RC as well. But it only works if the drone is connected to QGC, otherwise I see red light blinking thrice on the flight controller.
My questions are these:

• Is it the case that I need to keep drone and QGC connected, via say a telemetry device in order to arm/disarm it? I do not have a telemetry module.
  • If not, what is the way to arm/disarm the drone? I think there are some parameters to set but I am not able to find them.

Thanks,
SP.

we use one of the parameters to disable the safety switch. i cant remember which one exactly but go to parameters and type in 22027 in the search box. then change the parameter from whatever it is to 22027 to disable it.

Hi,
I tried to do what you said and also referred to what this page says about the parameter configuration: Redirecting to latest version of document (main)
What is happening: when I disconnect my drone from QGC, I am not at all able to arm it. I have a switch assigned to my RC to arm the drone. When I press the switch of RC the flight controller shows red light blinking thrice.
What I want to do is this: enable hardware safety switch on the flight controller and then arm/disarm the drone using a switch on my RC. This is very easily done using Mission Planner, in fact it seems to be the default behavior there.

EDIT
Okay I am able to engage the safety switch now. Question then remains: Does my drone have to be connected to QGC to arm/disarm via USB/telemetry module? As I am not able to arm the drone if it is not connected with QGC. At the moment I do not have a telemetry module.

Thanks,
SP.