May 04, 2023
- Community Q&A
- In-Depth discussions (optional)
- Ramon (@rroche)
Proposal for a new rolling release cycle
With the maintainer team’s limited time to support this project, we think it’s best to put scheduled releases in place. We oftentimes let a big window of time pass between releases increasing the burden on the maintainers to produce a stable release while not offering contributors a clear timeline for releasing their contributions. Scheduled releases allow the maintainers to focus on clear goals while also helping define the tasks expected from a maintainer, bringing visibility and transparency to the role and making recruiting maintainers from the community easier.
- Eight weeks with semantic versioning
- Rolling release with the following stages
- Testing Release Candidates: 2 weeks
- Merge Window: 6 weeks
- After the window closes, we branch out from the main branch into the release branch
- Development can carry on main for the next rolling release
- Release Sign-Off: Happens during the bi-weekly meeting
- Bugfix backport commits into the release branch merit a point release for bugfixes
In-Depth discussions (optional)
For smaller groups expanding technical discussions, stay until the end and follow up.
If you have any feedback or corrections, please comment on this post.