PX4 Maintainers Call: April 11, 2023

:calendar: April 11, 2023

The maintainers meeting is a meeting for the developer team to coordinate on pressing issues and to plan the development of the PX4 Autopilot project, the community is welcome to join and listen, but won鈥檛 be able to speak unless specific access is granted ahead of time.

:selfie: Meeting Link

:notebook_with_decorative_cover: Agenda

:memo: Meeting Notes

v1.14 release outstanding issues

v1.14 Project board

We are adding a lot of different issue/PRs. But which criteria should we apply to constrain the list of features creeping in?

TODO: Only leave the release blockers.

v1.14 testing matrix

  • Used to have paid team doing these tests: Tests Flights | PX4 User Guide
  • Having community tests: Generally hard to get.
  • For now community usually
  • Add 鈥榞eneric testing鈥 case in the matrix
  • Ideally we would have some competition between users to compete to get more flight logs contributed

To get more help on testing, ramon can arrange a company to sponsor the components needed for doing a test.

v1.14 release notes

  • When actuator is not configured, warning will pop up in QGC
  • How do we track what鈥檚 covered / what鈥檚 not?
  • 1900 commits
  • TODO: Get PR lists of the diff, get script from beat (markdown, csv output), and distribute tasks of sorting out the PRs

All the PRs that got introduced since v1.13 on Github UI: Pull requests 路 PX4/PX4-Autopilot 路 GitHub

Forum utilization

We should ask people to post on the forum if we actually have an answer. Then, we should reply on the forum.

Discuss forum can give a nice structured QnA discussions. We should encourage people to use public posts.

TODO: Encourage people to use forum more.

Why do we even have a discord? Why not just delete it and make forum the main source of discussion?

E.g. Development only chat? But this is also a tradeoff, and may discourage / negatively impact the development.

E.g. ROS had a culture of having support in the forum strictly.

TODO: Remove the 鈥榰nnecessary鈥 channels (by which criteria?) / We should only keep 鈥榮upport鈥 in the forum

Github: development
Forum: support
Discord: showoff?

Maybe: Encouragement bot that pings users when they have a long thread, to instead post on the forum? Or, a bot that summarizes the thread and posts on the forum & links back to the thread.

Note, the v1.14 PR list & release note coordination spreadsheet can be found here: