Hi Guys, I am very new to the world of drones and I have some general questions to get a good starting point.
For a new research project we are tasked to create an indoor autonomous quadcopter using the lidar from hakuyo: urg-04LX-UG01 (1 horizontal and 1 vertical). The aim of the project is to develop an algorithm that will help stabilize and position the drone in an indoor environment, using the lidar and IMU data.
So I have been looking for a drone and a flight controller where it is easy to add the lidar systems to it, and where i can use existing code or write new code to use the sensor to better control the drone. I was wondering if you could help me with the following questions i have:
- In general, what is the difference between px4 and ardupilot (why are they both existing and not one)?
- is there support for lidar?
- Is there any DIY or pre-assembled(preferred) drone which sounds suitable to the above description? (medium/small sized drone, carries around 500 gram payload, customizable (maybe guards)) We are now thinking about the DJI F330 and F450
- what would be a good flight controller for this? (pixhawk 4?)
- is px4 or ardupilot more appropriate for this?
- Do you have any references to existing UAV lidar projects? preferably with the URG-04
- would it be possible to tell the drone to avoid an object? or to tell it’s yaw angle changed (so that it can sensor fuse with IMU)
- How would i go about that? what would be a nice starting reference? (probably with a raspberry send the data to pixhawk with mavros, but what kind of commands or protocol)
With kind regards,