"Controlled" Takeoff

Hello Everyone,

I’m building a “big” hexacopter. While lifting in position mode, I saw that the motors were activated when the sticks were powered by 62.5%, and the following phrase was written on the position information page. “TAKEOFF: When landed, the vehicle will take off if the throttle stick is raised above 62.5% percent (of the full range from bottom).”
I want to make sure the engines are running correctly and give the throttle gradually for a controlled take-off. So how can I get rid of this 62.5 thrust level thing? The situation is a bit urgent so I’m asking for your help. I wish everyone a good day.

Regards,
Sabri

My experience with Pixhawk multirotors is that if you do not give the multirotor enough thrust on takeoff (i.e., by gradually raising the throttle), it will fall or flip over, breaking a prop or doing other damage to the aircraft and probably ruining your whole day. Better to give it a good kick on takeoff and switch it into loiter mode once your off the ground. This isn’t a DJI Phantom where everything has been worked out ahead of time for you at the factory. Good luck.

1 Like

Different modes have different throttle responses. Position mode, for example, waits until you put the throttle up very high before it applies a takeoff thrust.

I have flown many flying vehicles and I can tell you that it is good to apply a lot of thrust right away at takeoff. It may be unsettling if there are passengers, but look at the alternative. If you takeoff slowly, you’ll have situations where one leg is on the ground, and some weight is on that leg, and also it will stop the craft from correcting yaw. In that situation the computer doesn’t fully understand what’s going on, and will try to correct for yaw, etc. when it can’t and then when that leg lifts off, the correction could be more than it should be. This can result in undesirable situations.

It’s not intuitive, but getting clear of the ground quickly and getting to an altitude where a gust of wind or small user inputs can’t immediately cause a collision with the ground or cause the craft to roll and the props hit something is a good thing. The first 5 feet seem the most dangerous to me.

I hope that helps. If you don’t like the way the code is done, you can always change it, but make sure that’s what you want first.

Keven

1 Like