Using ROS2 in a quadcopter swarm project

Hello,
I would like to use ROS2 in a quadcopter swarm project.
The quadcopters would have a companion board and they would be connected via wifi to a gcs.
Is there anything to be aware of?
Is it possible to simulate multi-vehicle with ROS2?
Thanks

@JonathanPlasse Is there a specific reason you are trying to use ROS2? As ROS2 is used for communication between the firmware and the companion computer, it is not directly related to swarming.

I forgot to specify that I use Vicon to locate the quadcopters.
The FastRTPS aspect of ROS2 as it reliably share time-critical/real-time information (Vicon data).

1 Like

@JonathanPlasse Do you currently have issues with ROS1?

I understand that ROS2 brings alot of advantages, but I don’t see what exactly you are trying to 'solve` by using ROS2. ROS1 is already enough to fly swarms in a mocap system.

I want to a low level control of the quadcopter on the companion computer by controlling motor speed.

@JonathanPlasse May I ask how is that related to simulating multivehicles with ROS2?

I would like to simulate the low level control of the quadcopter.

Simulation : do it on ROS1 with Gazebo. You can simulate the full system out of the box with a lot of tutorials and help online.

ADVICE: ROS2 will only come at a struggle for you right now. Start with ROS1, and later, if you have problems, you can try with ROS2.

1 Like