Trouble building QGC from source

Hi all, I have built QGC from source using Qt Creator 5.7.1 without it throwing any errors, but when I try to run the program (running “./qgroundcontrol-start.sh” or “./QGroundControl” at the command line in the debug folder of the build directory), the terminal gives the following message: “QML debugging is enabled. Only use this in a safe environment.” Nothing else happens.

Should I disable QML debugging, whatever that may be, and if so, how? There is no “release” folder to be found–though I just wanted to build it, not debug it… I have never used Qt before, so any advice beyond the basic instructions provided here would be very much appreciated!

EDIT: I found the “Build Release” option in Qt, but having compiled a release version without errors and attempted to run it, I get… absolutely nothing. No errors, just… nothing!

Hi Anna, hi all,

My name name is Sergio. I am new with qgroundcontrol and ardupilot. I cannot help you by the moment because I am an step behind you. I would be very grateful if you could help me.
I am trying to build qgroundcontrol without success. I have downloaded and installed visual studio 2015 and qt version5.7.1. I have opening the qgroundcontrol.pro project, but when I build the project I get the next error:
“rc” no se reconoce como un comando interno o externo,
programa o archivo por lotes ejecutable.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: ‘rc’ : return code ‘0x1’
Stop.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: ‘“C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\BIN\nmake.exe”’ : return code ‘0x2’
Stop.
17:44:21: The process “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\BIN\nmake.exe” exited with code 2.
Error while building/deploying project qgroundcontrol (kit: Desktop Qt 5.7.1 MSVC2015 32bit)
The kit Desktop Qt 5.7.1 MSVC2015 32bit has configuration issues which might be the root cause for this problem.
When executing step “Make”

I have been looking for it in google but I have not find the error. Could you/someone please help me?

Thank you.

Best regards,

Sergio

If you are building QGC yourself using QtCreator and it is not working then this first step is to run it using the debugger and see what happens.

I think thay says it can’t find the RC compiler application which would mean that youre VS install is not quite correct.

Okay, got it to run on Linux, but no such luck on Mac. Stupid question, but to get it to run on a Mac, do I have to actually compile it on a Mac, or can I use the same binary that I compiled on my Linux box?

Linux and Mac binaries are incompatible

Dear all,

Thank you very much.
I reinstalled vissual studio a couple of times more and, at the end, I have compiled it. (in a different pc with windows 10. I have pending to compile on windows 7).
Later, I have installed the windows debugger and then I can debug too.

Thank you.
Best regards,

Sergio

Hi @sergio222,
I want to build qgc from source in windows using vs2017
I couldn’t find any instructions how to do it.
Could you give me some directions

Thanks,
Doron

The developer guide walks you step by step through building the code…
But i really suggest that you build it on linux system, because on windows it might be very troublesome, i spent like a month on windows and didn’t get the result while following with the guide.
So spare yourself time and use linux, it is much easier and a lot less steps

Hello, I just started working with QGC and having following problems. I build QGC from source without any error, however as I try to run with ./qgroundcontrol-start.sh, it says no such file in directory although I install qt in my default directory as mentioned. Since that didn’t work I located the directory of the .sh file and found it in the deploy folder and then I changed the directory to deploy folder and try running it. This is it says " ./qgroundcontrol-start.sh: 10: ./qgroundcontrol-start.sh: /home/tabassum/qgroundcontrol/deploy/QGroundControl: not found" .
My questions are:

1. does the “qgroundcontrol-start.sh” file supposed to be in that deploy directory if my build was correct?
  2. if my build is correct what may the reason I could not run this even though I am in the correct folder?
    Your response is greatly appreciated. I have installed qt 5.12.6. as mentioned.