Rover flight controller choices

Hi my first post, be kind. I am building a rover and trying to decide on flight controller. I have a vehicle using skid steering and a pi 0w already. The obvious choice is pixhawk 4 I guess, but I like pixracer due to size and power via usb stick. But the rover docs all seem to only use pixhawk 4 examples. A friend suggested erle pxf mini but again the rover docs all refer to pixhawk and not sure if I can negotiate the differences. Can anyone out there in rover world help with some feedback advice? I have limited skills, some python.

1 Like

Hey! Late catch up but which controlelr did you choose in the end? Did thr rover work?

I bought a pixhawk controller and found a world of trouble. Yes it worked to a degree but the control system is very complex and there is a lot of vagueness in it. In one test outdoors my son and I set it off on what was supposed to be a GPS test over several hundred yards and about 5 feet in it suddenly lurched left into the bushes and burned out a motor. Its so imprecise. i guess if your flying a plane using it at hundreds of feet in the air a little give and take is fine, but on the ground it yaws about all over the place, its just not good enough. I went pixhawk as I was turned off by the idea of writing GPS myself but honestly wish i had stuck to the programming and toughed it out.