QGC on Android, FTDI driver for SIK (mRo/3DR) telem radio

Hopefully not duplicating this issue - please close if it is.

My SIK radio works marvelously when I use it to connect my Mac QGC and my plane. When I’ve tried the same on a brand new Samsung android tablet I have no luck.

Specifics are:

On the Samsung and Mac, the green light goes solid on the radio. Red light starts to flash.
On the Mac, both orange lights flicker, indicating send/receive
On the Samsung, only one orange light flickers.
No connection to remote radio / plane on the Samsung, but consistently on the SIK radio.

Looking at Mac QGC, here’s what I see for the com to this device:
[D] at /Users/travis/build/mavlink/qgroundcontrol/src/comm/LinkManager.cc:495 - "portName: “cu.usbserial-DM004MH6"”
[D] at /Users/travis/build/mavlink/qgroundcontrol/src/comm/LinkManager.cc:496 - "systemLocation: “/dev/cu.usbserial-DM004MH6"”
[D] at /Users/travis/build/mavlink/qgroundcontrol/src/comm/LinkManager.cc:497 - “description: “FT230X Basic UART””
[D] at /Users/travis/build/mavlink/qgroundcontrol/src/comm/LinkManager.cc:498 - “manufacturer: “FTDI””
[D] at /Users/travis/build/mavlink/qgroundcontrol/src/comm/LinkManager.cc:499 - "serialNumber: “DM004MH6"”
[D] at /Users/travis/build/mavlink/qgroundcontrol/src/comm/LinkManager.cc:500 - “vendorIdentifier: 1027”
[D] at /Users/travis/build/mavlink/qgroundcontrol/src/comm/LinkManager.cc:501 - “productIdentifier: 24597”

On the Samsung, I see that the connect called is successful (SerialLinkCC:121), that the link succeeds (SerialLinkCC:167) and that the connection is set (SerialLinkCC:253). That’s it though - there is no double orange flash.

I’ve used the SIK radio config tool to verify both radios are communicating.

Installed USB Device info on the Android tablet and ran when connected to the radio

(API)
Device Info
Device Path: /dev/bus/usb/001/003
Device Class: Use class information in the Interface Descriptors (0x0)
Vendor ID: 0403
Vendor Name (reported): Not provided
Vendor Name (from DB):
Product ID: 6015
Product Name (reported): Not provided
Product Name (from DB):

Additional Info
Interface #0
Class: Vendor Specific (0xff)
Endpoint: #0
Address : 0x81 (10000001)
Number : 1
Direction : Inbound (0x80)
Type : Bulk (0x2)
Poll Interval : 0
Max Packet Size: 64
Attributes : 000000010
Endpoint: #1
Address : 0x02 (000000010)
Number : 2
Direction : Outbound (0x0)
Type : Bulk (0x2)
Poll Interval : 0
Max Packet Size: 64
Attributes : 000000010

(Linux)
Device Info
Device Path: /sys/bus/usb/devices/1-1/
Device Class: Use class information in the Interface Descriptors (0x0)
Vendor ID: 0403
Vendor Name (reported): FTDI
Vendor Name (from DB):
Product ID: 6015
Product Name (reported): FT230X Basic UART
Product Name (from DB):

Additional Info
USB Version: 2.00
Speed: 12
Protocol: 00
Maximum Power: 90mA
Serial Number: DM004MH6

Looks like my radio is not listed - here’s part of the FTDI the list you’ve referenced (https://github.com/mavlink/qgroundcontrol/blob/master/android/src/com/hoho/android/usbserial/driver/UsbId.java)

public static final int VENDOR_FTDI = 0x0403;
public static final int FTDI_FT232R = 0x6001;
public static final int FTDI_FT231X = 0x6015;

Any my radio is FT230X Basic UART from the description above. Could this be an issue?

1 Like