QGC not getting Transmitter (Controller) signal

Hello. I’m having issues with QGC not receiving RSSI signal from the Transmitter (Taranis X9D+2019) The transmitter and RF icon at the top of QGC is dark.

QGC does pick up telemetry from both the PixHawk FMU v3 autopilot and external sensors connected to it.

The artificial horizon and compass respond to me moving the craft. I am getting good GPS locks. That is all transmitted by a 915 MHz telemetry radio pair that came bundled with the autopilot.

If I plug the ground telemetry unit into a USB port on my PC, QGC can receive the 915MHz telemetry. Yet it will swear it’s Disconnected until I plug the autopilot directly into a USB port.

When I try calibrating the joysticks in QGC it halts with error message "GGC detected 0 radio channels. PixHawk needs 5 channels.

It’s a hexacopter, so I have a minimum of six channels for motors plus Flight mode channel, RTL channel set up in the X9D (so far). I have 16 or maybe 32 channels total available.

I am getting good RSSI numbers from both the onboard Receivers on the X9D, but GQC doesn’t seem to be getting the news. The Taranis uses 2.5GHz (I think) on its internal RF.

I am puzzled about what to do next. Do I need some special usb dongle to let GQC “hear” my X9D’s RF signal?

I need all this apparently in order to test spin my motors using GGC. Always errors present, preventing passing a preflight.

Even after performing the Compass Dance and (apparently) getting “all greens”.

My head is spinning…Why aren’t my Motors? :smile:

Replying to my own topic.

QGC seems to want to be part of the conversation
between my RC Controller and the onboard Receivers.

I’m not clear on how that is meant to happen, but I am
sure it is NOT happening.

My RC controller reports good RSSI readings from the
Receivers on my aircraft.

I have been taking that to mean
communication is taking place on RC channels, between
RC controller and aircraft, but I may have to find
another way to verify that.

And on another path,
I’m now looking closely at the “PixHawk 2.4.8” I received
in a bundled starter kit.

I learned that 2.4.6 is the latest official version of FMU v2 and
that mine is, if not a clone, is perhaps a clone of a clone.

I wish I didn’t have to reference ArduCopter wiki to learn
more about QGC but they do seem to document more of
what seems to be known about them.

I’m aware that a lot of reject STM32F427 processor chips
(with ‘silicon errata’, limited to 1 Mb of Flash Memory)
quietly found their way into manufactured products
including knock-offs of PixHawk hardware.

My PixHawk has

PX4-Autopilot Stable release v1.11.3

bootloader V5 not be the original bootloader. I updated it.
Board ID 255
Flash size 2080768 no units specified
MAV_AUTOPILOT=12 I need to look that up
“Hex Technology Limited” “Legacy FMU”

on GQC’s Firmware menu after successful flash.

A visit to the Hex Technology website shows
they still have Cubes to sell, separately or in lots.
I couldn’t find any mention of PixHawk 2.4.8.

Link to photo of my PixHawk board showing processor

Excuse it being inverted, I think it’s stuck in Acro mode. :wink:

The processor is the largest chip on the board, can’t miss it.

The second line beginning with VIT6 is where the hardware
version number of the processor chip should appear but the
rest of the line is blank. The versions to avoid are 1, 2 and Y
Rev 3 is your friend, with a full 2 Mb Flash.

I understand there is a way to query the PixHawk system to get
the hardware details on a terminal emulator.

If that wasn’t enough info, I followed a set of steps (link to be included) to re-flash the bootloader on my PixHawk to a newer version that is capable of reading the chip revision and installing compatible firmware, for either a 1Mb or a 2Mb Flash.

Hello, I use the Archer RS ​​receiver that can do both SPort and I also receive telemetry. At QGC I have 18 channels

[Solution:] It wasn’t the Receiver’s fault.

I realized that the pins on the cable connectors were making intermittent contact.
In my case, it was the Signal wire. The Receiver was getting constant power from
the + and - lines.

These were not prefabricated, retail cables.
I fabricated the cables myself from (salvaged) 22 gauge wire and an assortment kit of .1x.1 female pins and connector shells.

I manually pressed the wires/pins fully in the connector shells and then applied hot glue to
hold them in place. Yes, there are locking tabs but they allow a millimeter or two of play.

Bottom line, radio communication Transmitter to Receiver is now operative.