PX4/Gazebo SITL Building Error/Freeze

I’ve been attempting to build PX4 SITL with Gazebo 7 on Ubuntu 16.04 but the build is either giving an error or slowing my computer to a freeze. As per instructions I’ve

1. Installed prerequisites as specified in Development Environment on Linux
  • I’ve been able to build and upload to Pixhawk
  1. Installed Gazebo and development library, as specified in Gazebo Simulation Dev Documentation
  2. Attempted to build:

make posix_sitl_default gazebo

However, this results in either an error message or my computer slowing down to the point of freezing.

Before sharing the error message, I’m wondering about these instructions in the PX4/Firmware/Tools/sitl_gazebo README. Are those steps also required, or does the above make command take care of that?

Thank you in advance.

This is resolved. An update for anyone else facing this issue: switching to a computer with more capable processing power resolved the compiling problem. It seems some of the code that gets compiled in order to interface with gazebo takes quite a bit of processor, causing the laptop to hang. However, the same procedure worked fine in a more capable desktop machine.

Thank you for the update!. If getting a better computer is really the accepted answer I think this should be represented in Initial Setup & Configuration | PX4 User Guide . Can you compare your specs to the docs? Or maybe share it with us?