ProfiCNC Yellow and Orange Cube

Just found this ProfiCNC Yellow Cube with an STM32F7 processor.

Is this hardware fully supported with PX4 v1.9.0+?

No those arenā€™t supported at the moment, although it likely wouldnā€™t be hard to add support for the Yellow. We support the processor, all the sensors, and I believe itā€™s either pin compatible with the Pixhawk 2.1 cube, or very close.

I donā€™t know about the Cube orange. NuttX has H7 support, but it hasnā€™t been vetted.

1 Like

Is there a plan for supporting it in the ā€œnearā€ future?

I got this answer from cubepilot forum:

Hello,

Do you have any plans to fully support the Cube Orange in the next version of PX4?

Iā€™d second this question. We like using the Cube, but reading their forum leadershipā€™s attitude toward the PX4 community makes me a little worried about future continued support.

To be honest without knowing any history or background, itā€™s sad to see politics in such a great open source communities.
Regardless that, I consider the Cube Orange a great hardware especially with the ADS-B embedded, and I would love to use it with the PX4 stack.

Best.

Itā€™s actually not that difficult to quickly add basic support for most new boards (theyā€™re all quite similar). The problem is to really trust that both the hardware and software together are reliable it needs a focused pass to ensure everything is actually working as intended and very thorough testing. I donā€™t have time to do that second part, which is why I havenā€™t pushed out the initial support. It really needs the manufacturers and something like the Dronecode test team working closely with developers to make a good overall product.

1 Like

Good day, mro x2.1 777 is already supported coz until know i donā€™t have found the firmware for it

Has their been any traction on this? I have some Yellow Cubes I would like to use with PX4, I have heard a number of reports that both the orange and yellow cubes can be used with PX4 with no present offical support, however no one has actually commented on how they achieved this.

Hi @dn_versatol, Iā€™m working with another developer on Cube Orange support, but Yellow is not in the plans (for me at least), and Iā€™m not aware of any other developers with interest in this. However, the F7 series MCUs are a little better supported than the H7 series, and Iā€™m finding that adding support for new boards is not quite as bad as I thought it might be, so if youā€™re familiar with PX4, then modifying the Pixhawk 4 board support for the Yellow Cube should only take a day or two of work. Whether you trust it enough to fly after that point is another question though :wink:

1 Like

Are you working on this on a public branch? Iā€™m very interested and would love to support in any way I can.

The list of available targets is currently this
aerotenna_ocpoc[_default]
airmind_mindpx-v2[_default]
atlflight_cmake_hexagon_bundle
atlflight_cmake_hexagon_fastrpc
atlflight_cmake_hexagon_hexagon_sdk
atlflight_cmake_hexagon_linux_app
atlflight_cmake_hexagon_qurt_flags
atlflight_cmake_hexagon_qurt_lib
atlflight_eagle[_default]
atlflight_eagle_qurt
atlflight_excelsior[_default]
atlflight_excelsior_qurt
av_x-v1[_default]
beaglebone_blue[_default]
bitcraze_crazyflie[_default]
cuav_x7pro_bootloader
cuav_x7pro[_default]
emlid_navio2[_default]
holybro_durandal-v1_bootloader
holybro_durandal-v1[_default]
holybro_durandal-v1_stackcheck
holybro_kakutef7[_default]
intel_aerofc-v1[_default]
intel_aerofc-v1_rtps
modalai_fc-v1[_default]
mro_ctrl-zero-f7[_default]
mro_x21-777[_default]
mro_x21[_default]
nxp_fmuk66-v3[_default]
nxp_fmuk66-v3_socketcan
nxp_fmurt1062-v1[_default]
nxp_rddrone-uavcan146[_default]
omnibus_f4sd[_default]
px4_fmu-v2[_default]
px4_fmu-v2_fixedwing
px4_fmu-v2_lpe
px4_fmu-v2_multicopter
px4_fmu-v2_rover
px4_fmu-v2_test
px4_fmu-v3[_default]
px4_fmu-v3_rtps
px4_fmu-v3_stackcheck
px4_fmu-v4_cannode
px4_fmu-v4[_default]
px4_fmu-v4_optimized
px4_fmu-v4pro[_default]
px4_fmu-v4pro_rtps
px4_fmu-v4_rtps
px4_fmu-v4_stackcheck
px4_fmu-v5_critmonitor
px4_fmu-v5[_default]
px4_fmu-v5_fixedwing
px4_fmu-v5_irqmonitor
px4_fmu-v5_multicopter
px4_fmu-v5_optimized
px4_fmu-v5_rover
px4_fmu-v5_rtps
px4_fmu-v5_stackcheck
px4_fmu-v5x[_default]
px4_fmu-v5x_p2_base_phy_LAN8742Ai
px4_io-v2[_default]
px4_raspberrypi[_default]
px4_sitl[_default]
px4_sitl_nolockstep
px4_sitl_replay
px4_sitl_rtps
px4_sitl_test
uvify_core[_default]

using fmu-v5 produces this message
Found board id: 120,0 bootloader version: 5 on /dev/serial/by-id/usb-Hex_ProfiCNC_CubeYellow-BL_420026000B51383230343238-if00
WARNING: Firmware not suitable for this board (Firmware board_type=120 board_id=50)
FAILED: platforms/nuttx/CMakeFiles/upload
cd /home/el/Firmware/build/px4_fmu-v5_default && /usr/bin/python3 /home/el/Firmware/Tools/px_uploader.py --port ā€œ/dev/serial/by-id/-3D_Robotics_PX4_FMU_v5.x,/dev/serial/by-id/PX4_BL,/dev/serial/by-id/BL_FMU,/dev/serial/by-id/usb-The_Autopilot*,/dev/serial/by-id/usb-Bitcraze*,/dev/serial/by-id/pci-Bitcraze*,/dev/serial/by-id/usb-Gumstix*,/dev/serial/by-id/usb-Hex_ProfiCNC*,/dev/serial/by-id/usb-UVify*ā€ /home/el/Firmware/build/px4_fmu-v5_default/px4_fmu-v5_default.px4
ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.
Makefile:205: recipe for target ā€˜px4_fmu-v5ā€™ failed
make: *** [px4_fmu-v5] Error 1

The current branch is on the public PX4 repo at: pr-orange_cube. You can view it here: https://github.com/PX4/Firmware/pull/14928
Itā€™s very much still a work in progress, but you can boot into a console, and at least the barometers, external I2C, PWM, and one IMU seem to be working.

1 Like

Nice work, Jacob. Iā€™ll check it out.

Support for HEX Cube Yellow is also in master now.

1 Like