Holybro S500 Devkit Feedback Request

Hi all. I’m new to the site and I’ve spent the last few months doing a lot of research on drones. During the pandemic, I purchased a DJI Phantom 4 and had fun learning to fly.

I have spent all of my career in IT. I have considerable experience with Linux and software development and currently work in cyber security. I’ve decided to learn as much as I can about open source drones, all the ecosystem components, and eventually hope to do some coding. I’m particularly interested in imagery and data analytics.

I’m considering a DevKit to jump start my drone building and I’m looking at the Holybro S500 kit. It seems like a decent place to start and I wouldn’t have to spend a lot of time acquiring individual components. I’m also considering a FrSky Taranis X9D transmitter.

I’d like to have a drone with a gimbal/camera as well as a companion computer like a Raspberry Pi for some future development work. Would the S500 be able to carry this load? Does anybody have a similar configured unit who could make recommendations for those components? Other drone recommendations welcome and appreciated.
Thanks
Nick

Better to start with a smaller drone, Safer, less harm and loss when something goes wrong.

Thanks. Good point and something I didn’t consider. I suppose I would still learn all of the basics and get some hand-on experience with all the components and be better prepared to move to something bigger.