Cruise Motor Connection for Generic Quadplane VTOL

Hi All,

For Generic Quadplane VTOL (or Fun Cub Quad VTOL), I’m wondering if the ESC for Cruise Motor should be soldered on to M5 pads on PM07 power management board as shown on the picture below.

If somebody can answer to the above question, that would be much appreciated.

I don’t see why not. As long as the PDB is rated to handle all 5 motors at full amp draw.

Good luck.

Thank you very much for your response.
Yes, the PDB is rated to handle all 5 motors at full amp draw.
My understanding is that the M5 pad in the PDB with Pixhawk 4 is for MAIN5 as the default setting, not for AUX5. Is that correct?
Since the specific outputs for Fun Cub Quad VTOL in the https://docs.px4.io/v1.9.0/en/airframes/airframe_reference.html specify the AUX5 for Throttle (Cruise Motor), if the M5 pad is used for the cruise motor, do I need some special settings on QGround Control? If so, which parameters do I need to change?

The battery connection (power/voltage) for the ESC has no relationship to the PWM Signal wire that connects to AUX5.

Good luck

Thank you very much for your response. I really appreciate it.
I would like to make sure my understanding below is correct as shown in the attached picture.

(1) M5 signal pad should not be used for Cruise Motor ESC PWM Signal Wire?
(2) Only M5 + and GND should be used for Cruise Motor ESC?
(3) AUX5 should be used for Cruise Motor ESC PWM Signal Wire. AUX5 + and – pads are not used.

Thank you

Would you be able to answer to my questions above?

Thank you.

That’s correct. Only the power wire (16ga or whatever your ESC came with).

Sure, if it’s available to be used. Again, this is for the main power cable of the ESC.

If you’re using a BEC and providing servo power on the rail, then all you need to connect is the Signal and Ground wires of the ESC servo wire,

Good luck.

Thank you very much for your response.

I’m using a BEC and providing 5V on the rail. Do you think 5V is enough for the Cruise Motor ESC PWM signal wire?

Cruise Motor ESC:

I will not use the BEC included in the Cruise Motor ESC above. I will cut the BEC power wire coming from the ESC and connect only signal wire and signal ground wire to the AUX 5. I will use a separate BEC to provide 5V on the rail.

I really appreciate all your help.

If my question above is not clear, please let me know. I appreciate your help.

That BEC should be plenty. It’s going to be more for the servos that the ESC.

Good luck.

So, the 5V BEC that is connected to “FMU-PWM-in” provides 5V for the Cruise Motor ESC PWM signal wire at AUX5. You think 5V is enough for the Cruise Motor ESC PWM signal wire, right?

It’s actually not the Cruise Motor ESC that would be much concern but your fix wing servos. But a 20amp BEC should suffice for standard servos.

Good luck.

Thank you very much for your response. I appreciate it.