Computer Vision Reference Platforms

I’m very interested in the camera configurations you have in mind.

Also, I personally want to run Golang code consisting of GoCV/OpenCV on the vision processor.

Those are all great considerations. I see short term a need for a flexible platform with 500 to 700 mm motor distance. Long term I think we need a small foldable vehicle and a larger, flexible vehicle.

@LorenzMeier,
What is your idea about onboard computing and payload? Is anything defined yet, or is it also an open question?

Just collecting feedback or ideas right now. I was looking at or tinkering with NVIDIA TX2, Intel Up^2, Snapdragon 820, NXP i.MX.

1 Like

Hi Everyone
@LorenzMeier
Did you have in mind strategies to adopt when obstacle is detected ?
That could be a simple stop, which is good enough for low altitude flight and safety
Or more advance “going around” the object, and continue a mission in auto mode ? That second is more difficult, and it may also require more sensors ?
A big ++ to the initiative, and hope to be able to give a hand !

Cheers

NVIDIA also offers the TX2 in an industrial version called the TX2i. The differences between the two modules is attached as a pdf.Jetson_TX2_TX2i_Interface_Comparison_and_Migration.pdf (465.9 KB)

WDL sells a good carrier board for interfacing and wiring to the Jetson TX2(i). They are about $500 in QTYs of 1.

I have not evaluated StereoLabs’ Zed stereo camera but it’s worth noting in this thread for measuring depth.

VIO on Snapdragon:

Obstacle avoidance on Aero:

1 Like

Heads up: I’ve spent quite a bit of time looking into suitable platforms we have come up with a 650-700 mm prop diameter which can support an NVIDIA TX2 or an Intel NUC. We are currently testing these with different sensors (stereo, others) and should be able to provide incremental updates here. Meanwhile the Aero is working reasonably well for our avoidance tests.

1 Like

My project is putting a ReadyToSky OmnibusF4 Pro on a DonkeyCar( RC truck ) with a raspberry Pi 3(running ROS/Mavlink and Keras/Tensorflow) and using a wide angle camera.

We have been having good success with the python code on the rPi3 going to a PCA9685 PWM driver board but adding battery monitoring, a BEC to power the rPi and IMU are all external addons the OmnibusF4 Pro has plus a gyro.

So I’m build ROS/MavLink and the OmnibusF4 Pro but having problems getting the firmware setup for Rover operation and QGC won’t load firmware so have to build from source( make omnibus_f4sd upload ) but the latest pull is fighting me.

I’ll keep at it but had hoped I’d be spending more time in the ROS/MavLink side instead of bootloader/firmware and control(QGC).

Are there any update about good computer vision platforms?

I guess the best are the NVIDIA TX2 and the Intel NUC?

Anyone looking forward to the new NVIDIA Jetson Nano?

@jkflying It would be good to provide high-level updates here. We are working on a dev kit - a high level summary is here:

3 Likes

@LorenzMeier, @jkflying, any updates in this topic?

Hi @soldierofhell , we are finalizing the vehicle and making a list of interested people who could give feedback for beta testing. If you’d be interested, and would potentially be buying more after beta testing (for academic / corporate research lab, for example), please get in touch with @JingerZ.

1 Like

p200.pdf (2.7 MB)

AMOV lab from China sells this as a RTF development platform (it’s tx2 based).

Although all their documentation is in Chinese right now, but the diagrams are in English: 无人系统板载(任务)计算机 — p200-wiki 0.0.1 文档

Thanks,
Do you know if/when will be english translation available? Is this SDK from the english diagram available somwhere?

BTW Why TX2? Are there any NN or any other computations done on GPU?

Hey could you please share the link to buy this RTF dev kit you mentioned. Is it subsidized (in that if you’re buying the TX2 + realsense cameras together as opposed to purchasing on their respective sites)? Sorry just curious since I’ve already built my drone on a F450 frame and am waiting for my uni to confirm whether they can pay for the cameras + TX2 or not. Im essentially building a drone (FYP) for GPS denied environments capable of autonomous flight with SLAM + host of sensors (to determine human vitals like heat signature, CO2 emissions) for search n rescue operations.
Eagerly awaiting your response!!

Hi @JingerZ @LorenzMeier
Can you please provide further information on how to order the PX4 Vision Autonomy Development Kit?
https://docs.px4.io/master/en/complete_vehicles/px4_vision_kit.html

Thanks,
Prasanth

Hi @PrasanthAnanth, do you have any information where to buy the PX4 Vision Autonomy Development Kit?

Thanks,

Jay

1 Like