Turn off lockdown in HIL?

Iā€™m running a modified version of the PX4 software on a Pixracer. The PWM outputs are set to control slow-moving flaps, rather than rotors, so safety is not really an issue here. However, if these flaps malfunction in flight, it could lead to catastrophic failure of the vehicle. Iā€™m wondering if itā€™s possible to disable HIL lockdown to allow the servos to move in HIL and make testing software changes easier and safer.

Iā€™ve tried commenting out all the lines that set ā€œarmed->lockdown = trueā€, but it hasnā€™t worked. I tried using the debug cable and sending ā€œcommander lockdown offā€, but it didnā€™t work. Iā€™ve also tried logging the ā€œactuator_armedā€ topic, and checking the ā€œlockdownā€ and ā€œmanual_lockdownā€ fields, but they seem to indicate lockdown is off. I have tested and confirmed that the servos work properly outside of HIL.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thought Iā€™d reply since I figured out the issue. In HIL, the simulated servo driver, pwm_out_sim, is started alongside the physical servo driver, px4fmu. This causes the device name pwm_output0 (the primary servo channel) to be registered by the simulated driver instead of the physical one. Under normal, non-HIL use, the device name pwm_output0 is occupied by the physical driver. Under HIL, the physical driver is still started, but itā€™s registered under pwm_output1, which means it misses all messages, including primary servo commands.

To fix this, I edited the init script (rcS) to not start pwm_out_sim in HIL. Of course, for this to work, you must also set armed->lockdown = false, or comment out lines that say armed->lockdown = true.

Itā€™s a little irritating that this wasnā€™t documented - setting lockdown to false is not enough to disable lockdown, you have to disable pwm_out_sim. And the physical driver didnā€™t throw any warnings, messages, etc. to indicate that it in fact was not registered under the primary servo device name. It took me over a month to figure this out.

Anyway, hope this helps someone.

1 Like

Hi @zfurman!
Iā€™m trying to enable motors in HIL mode for a simulation project. In this way, your post was very helpful.
However, the real motors still donā€™t work.

Do you know if there is another change to be made in the code?

I got it working. This is what I did:

1. I used the latest px4 firmware (v1.11.1 - also works on current master branch)
  2. I only changed one file (state_machine_helper.cpp): Commented the line armed->lockdown = true; inside if (hil_enabled) { block
  3. I compiled, built and then uploaded this firmware in QGC v3.5.6
  4. In QGC I disabled HITL then rebooted vehicle and then selected Standard-Plane as the airframe
  5. I pressed the safety switch to check if my servos are working as per the radio control.
  6. Then, I enabled HITL, again rebooted the vehicle and selected ā€˜HIL-Starā€™ as my airframe.

Note: At this point, the servos should still be active and controlled by radio.

1. I launched XPlane-11 and started a flight
  2. In QGC, I opened the HIL widget to connect with X-Plane 11
  3. Then, I armed the vehicle

After arming; the real servos and the X-Plane aircraft wings should both be working and you should also be able to fly the plane using the radio

I hope this helps someone

1 Like

It works, thank you! But when I apply takeoff, the plane in the simulator does not move, the propellers just spinning in its location. I am using Gazebo with a quadcopter Pixhawk 4. Did you encounter this problem?

1 Like

Brother, I also encountered the same problem and wanted to drive the real motor in HITL mode. I have a few questions to ask you. Which version of PX4 do you use? Can you tell me the specific operating steps and areas that need to be changed?

Hi, Iā€™m pretty sure OP was using v1.11 release for the steps above. Thereā€™s a file called state_machine_helper.cpp in it with the line armed->lockdown = true that can be commented out.