EKF2 delays with external IMU

Hello guys,

I wrote a new driver for an external IMU and I am publishing over uORB the accel, gyro, magnetometer and baro readings. I noticed in QGroundControl that the changes in yaw, pitch, roll are happening very very slowly. Unsafe to fly.

I plotted the attached graph for readings of magnetometer and the output of EKF2 quaternions (from log_…_vehicle_attitude_0.csv) when I moved the IMU on the table so that only the yaw change. As you can see, the delay between driver output and estimated quaternions take a very long time.

Platform: PX4v5 with IMU read over serial. uOrb messages posted at 200 Hz for all components (accel, gyro, mag and baro).

Questions: Any idea what can be the root cause of this and how can it be fixed ?
Any hints about where to look for the problem and how to find a solution will be highly appreciated.

Thank you,
MTM

1 Like

Hi @MTM ,

You can use this script to analyse and debug the EKF results.

Good luck

Hi bresch,
Thank you for your suggestion.
I run the script and I got the attached pdf.
Not sure that this flags the problem, but I see in diagram Magnetic Heading Innovation (page 6) that there seems to be some cut-off at the max value of 0.781.
What can be the meaning of this ? Is there some upper limit that is reached ?

Thank you,
Mlog_0_2018-9-8-13-55-24.ulg.pdf (181.0 KB)

I started to suspect that there may be some issues with the calibration.
Can somebody point me to the documentation for them ? More precisely:

1. How do I choose the device id that I sent in uORB messages ?
    I randomly choose 77 for all the id’s (accel, gyro, mag and baro) implemented in my driver.
    Is there any rules I have to follow? Is a relationship between the devId reported in uORB and the name of the device (like /dev/accel0 as opposed to /dev/accel77).?

2. I added some printout in commander. It attempts to open only one magnetometer (/dev/mag0 ) and it gets back my id 77. Good ! This is what I expected.
    However, later in the calibration process in function mag_calibrate_all() at the line:
    orb_mag_count=orb_group_count(ORB_ID(sensor_mag));
    the count is returned as 2 (despite the fact that it never opened any other /dev/magX other then 0 - which is mine).
    Then later in the loop it fails to get anything from a second magnetometer (since there is no other running) and the calibration fail for the nonexistent mag 1.
    I even run uorb without my driver running and no sensor_mag message is ever published.
    So, from where the second magnetometer instance came from, and how can I fix it.
    Do you believe that may be something wrong with orb_group_count ?

Thank you,
M