Can Hexacopter survive a motor failure running PX4 v 1.11.3?

I asked this question in 2019 and at that time, the answer was that there is no feature to do this type of failsafe. As was pointed out, Ardupilot has the capability to land safely with one motor not running and I actually experienced this myself. It saved a $4K investment! So has this capability been added to PX4 in v1.11.3?

Thanks,
Joe

1 Like

I’m concerned that there has not been a response to this. I am planning to do some flying for the military, and this capability is a critical part of risk mitigation.

Could someone from the developer team, or anyone else who has experience with this, please respond? I need to know what happens when one motor on a hexacopter fails. How does PX4 handle this? Is it a controlled landing, or a crash?

Thanks,
Joe

The Yuneec versions of PX4 have “5-motor” mode, which safely controls a hexacopter, such as the H520 series, with a motor out. It flies normally in that mode, although of course it is advisable to bring it home immediately. That’s gone through FAA Type Certification testing and passed with no issues.

I believe this is also an option with the Auterion version of PX4, however AFAIK it is not in the open source version (yet).