DSHOT support

i see , so in a race the small increase in responce times between oneshot and dshot could be overcome just by good piloting skills thus making it less needed then what is perceived , is this correct ?

i am hopeful that the next video i post will be of good a flight and a working multicopter lol , and thx

about Dshot , after reading and watching a few videos about dshot i am sitting in abit of a neutral place althought i see where dshot has its advantages over it anolog signals , but @ this point unless your running dshot600 there is very little need for it , multishot will out preform anything less then that , as far as seeing the need for DMA protocols for the pixracer ,if it ever wants to live in the winners circle of racers it will need to have them put in place and @ this point its not logical to do knowing that in order to do this SOME very smart dev with the time will most likly need to go in and remap the DMA port to the processor so with that being pointed out if any of you want to race the pixracer we should be useing multishot given that it still can preform as good or better then Dshot and to my knowledge we shouldn’t need anything more then what is already in place to use it , that is of course the pixracer can handle loop times of 32khz which i will flash or configure my new dshot ESCs that say they support multishot , oneshot125/42 , as well ,and this weekend with luck we’ll find out just if this works

Just letting you know that @Mark_Whitehorn is working on improved OneShot support: https://github.com/PX4/Firmware/pull/6599 maybe ping him for further testing/dev.

As y ou mentioned, UART is a basically, serial communication system. Similar protocol can be reinvented by anyone by purpose. DSHOT, as you mentioned, it is just a name of certain protocol. It makes people remember easier, like UART.
Advantage is that, it is optimized by purpose. 11-bit signal, true/false type telemetry request (telemetry actually use UART in case KISS ESC), and CRC code. Which is quite compact. So, it is just yet another version of serial protocol for the multirotor ESC.

Also, typical ESCs used in FPV, they used cheap version and small form factor, so typically, UART is not avaiable for fast communication. That’s why this has been developed I think.

DShot is implemented for a number of boards by now.

1 Like