PX4 Maintainers Call: February 21, 2023

:calendar: February 21, 2023

The maintainers meeting is a meeting for the developer team to coordinate on pressing issues and to plan the development of the PX4 Autopilot project, the community is welcome to join and listen, but won’t be able to speak unless specific access is granted ahead of time.

:selfie: Meeting Link

Click here!

:notebook_with_decorative_cover: Agenda

  • Finalize maintainer role description
  • Identify maintainer opportunities
  • Open mic for maintainers

:memo: Meeting Notes

Maintainer Role description

  • Is a structure (tiers) of maintainers needed? (E.g, ones managing bigger scope vs. small scope) > YES
    • E.g., Simulation > Gazebo / jMAVSim / etc
  • How do we define components/level of support? (E.g., Windows Cygwin dev environment, but currently not supported officially) > YES
  • Should we have a component hierarchy? > YES
    • Small component vs. large component level
    • Hierarchy in components
    • Structure
    • How do we define all of them
    • We don’t have 100% coverage
  • Do we need an Organization chart for subject matters that need to be maintained? With people under those, so they understand their role and where they fit in > YES

Components and Modules

  • How do we define the list of components that we know are core to PX4?
    • E.g., Variable airspeed: Users were talking about it, then it would be marked ‘should be maintained.’
  • Do we continue the current development process as it has been done? What should we do?
  • How do we clean the current structure?
  • Do we want to make a separation between PX4, the good parts, vs. experimental/research parts?
    • What are some things we need to get this done?
      • Requirements
      • Traceability
      • Testing
      • Documentation
    • Why do we need this?
      • Certainty that things work
      • Reliability and trust in new releases
  • It’s recommended we document the process to apply user feedback into the process (which feature is needed / needs maintenance) / E.g., How to make a proposal for core design modification, etc.


  • Junwoo will create PR to solidify the maintainer role description
  • Ramon will make a document where we can collect the list of components for PX4 CORE
  • Define what PX4 CORE should be, and list the requirements to get there
    • Whiteboard and sketch where the line is between PX4 CORE and the rest
    • We need the use cases from the community, what boards you care for, vehicle types, modularity
    • Where is the split, and how do we define
    • TODO: Let’s take a guess and make a list to reach out to the community and bring more people into the project.