- PROPOSAL: Radio Bus Standard
Direct link to the meeting:
- Tanja Baumann (Auterion)
- Nico van Duijin (Auterion)
- Chris Dobler
- Alex Klimaj (ARK Electronics)
- Andrew Smith (Upverter)
- Bradley Pizzimenti
- Daniel Agar (PX4)
- David Sidrane
- Ray Stits (Modal AI)
- Michael Brust
- Olivier Gasté
- Ramón Roche (Dronecode Foundation)
Summary (by @baumanta)
When working with multiple vendors a common problem is their radios are built into their ground stations and controllers making it very hard to switch to a new radio when the solution already in place isn’t working anymore for the desired use case. The idea behind this proposal is to standardize on a radio interface, making it easier to switch radio links.
Full Proposal (feel free to add comments to the file)
Feedback from the attendees
Overall the proposal was well received with feedback focused on providing more value and maximizing the benefits of the standard for as many use cases as possible, with the main points being:
- Make sure to properly mark the power supply for pins
- Making sure there were enough grounds in between UART’s, possibly go to a bigger connector?
- Supporting lower than 4S on the drone side for smaller drones
- USB3 instead of USB2?
- Change the name from Radio Bus to Radio Interface standard.
Radio Link Workgroup
A new workgroup was created to tackle this problem, the feedback provided (see above), and to build together on the proposal presented today, formed by Auterion, ModalAI, and ARK Electronics. Please ping @rroche on slack if you are interested in joining.
Let me know below if I failed to capture anything the right way, and if there are any updates, or you have feedback on the call format.