Urgent Grounding Notice for Cubes

The original post is here: https://discuss.cubepilot.org/t/sb-0000002-critical-service-bulletin-for-cubes-purchased-between-january-2019-to-present/406, we are reposting it in the PX4 community for Cube users:

From Philip Rowse

It has come to our attention, that there is an anomaly with sensor readings on some recent cubes.

This is an unfolding investigation, more details will be added as they come to light.

If your vehicle is fitted with a CUBE BLACK with the the following symptoms, DO NOT FLY. Wait for further instructions.

Your Cube is fitted with Three Gyros, Three Accelerometers, two Barometers, two internal Compasses.
If any of these sensors are missing at startup, you must not fly the vehicle.

to tell what is fitted…

Open mission planner and connect to your cube.
go to the full parameter list

Look for the following parameters and check that they match the examples
INS_ACC_ID = 1442082
INS_ACC2_ID = 1114914
INS_ACC3_ID = 1442826

INS_GYR_ID = 2359586
INS_GYR2_ID = 2229282
INS_GYR3_ID = 2360330

If these do not match, ground your vehicle immediately.

Please keep an eye on this notice for further instructions. There will be an update to mission planner, and to Ardupilot coming to assist in determining if your Cube is affected by this fault.

We are sorry about this situation, and will endeavour to follow up with solutions as soon as possible
Thank you

NEW MISSION PLANNER BETA RELEASED TODAY! PLEASE UPDATE MISSION PLANNER TO ADD AUTO DETECTION OF THIS ISSUE . please let us know if you get the following error…

I’ve compared one of our cubes and PX4 reports different IDs for 4/6 sensors, but when I put ardupilot on and check those params, they match. Not sure why they are different, but a note to the PX4 community when checking their cubes.

I also checked the mission planner source code, and the only check they do is if ACC3_ID = 0 and it is a cube, it will throw the warning described.

1 Like

I did failure testing for PX4 master and checked that failover works when plugging out the vibration-mounted IMU cable on a Pixhawk cube.
The results in short: failover works as expected if an external mag is used. I added more details here: https://github.com/PX4/Firmware/pull/11922. If no external mag is used, that pull request is required for graceful failover.

Do we have an idea of what versions of PX4 are affected by this? Can we expect versions 1.8.2 and 1.7.3 to detect this hardware failure correctly if we are using an external magnetometer?