Quadrotor Launch Control (Throw launches)

Hi Ethan

Can you contact me or send me your email plz

Hi,

Px4 throw launch mode was implemented and the test flight succeeded. QAV250 was used as airframe hardware platform, pixracer was used as flight controller hardware, and flight controller software was based on PX4 1.8.2.

According to the method proposed by rousselmanu, the procedure proceeded as follows.

1. enable throw_launch mode by internal software variable.
  2. arm the UAV - motors are not started.
  3. switch to the mode you want (POSCTL)
  4. throw UAV into the air
  5. motors start as soon as freefall is detected, mortorr are started
  6. UAV is in the mode selected in 3 and flying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWfNe7NPYl4

2 Likes

@jhlee This is cool! Where can I get more information on this? Do you plan to contribute on the flight stack?

Happy new year.
Sorry for the late reply.

I referenced rousselmanu’s comment and modified Commander.cpp source.

In this situation, I need more source stabilization and test.
There is a plan to do so if given the opportunity to apply to the flight stack later.

Thanks

@jhlee Any updates on this?

Based on the code by @rousselmanu [Quadrotor Launch Control (Throw launches) - #7 by rousselmanu], I have implemented similar behavior based on the current main branch: GitHub - zeroos/PX4-Autopilot at throw-mode .

I will continue working on it to make the code more refined and track the progress in this PR: [WIP] throw launch by zeroos · Pull Request #21170 · PX4/PX4-Autopilot · GitHub .

If anyone has some suggestions please don’t hesitate to share them!

1 Like

Hi @mhkabir ,

I hope that finds you well.

I wonder what is the throw mode Development result so far? Is it already added to the flight mode options in PX4 or still? what’s the status please?

If I yes ardupilot in QGC would the throw mode in Ardupilot work in QGC?

Regards

Hey Falcon,

Please check https://github.com/PX4/PX4-Autopilot/pull/21170 for the most recent discussion. It has not been yet merged to main branch of PX4, but we’ve used it and it works for us. Hopefully, we’ll soon find a way to have it merged.

Please keep in mind we’re talking about PX4 here. Ardupilot is a different firmware, which had this feature already implemented a while ago (see the beginning of this thread).

1 Like

The throw launch feature has been merged!

Check out the documentation here: