X8 + Pusher VTOL configuration

hello,

Is it possible with the current PX4 code to have an X8 multirotor layout combined with a pusher to create a VTOL aircraft?
What will be the output configuration?

Is the following supported ?
Pixhawk port
MAIN 1
Quad motor 1
MAIN 2
Quad motor 2
MAIN 3
Quad motor 3
MAIN 4
Quad motor 4
MAIN 5
Quad motor 5
MAIN 6
Quad motor 6
MAIN 7
Quad motor 7
MAIN 8
Quad motor 8
AUX 1
Left aileron
AUX 2
Right aileron
AUX 3
Elevator
AUX 4
Rudder
AUX 5
Throttle (motor)

thank you.
Frederic

Hi,
yes, the Pixhawk has enough outputs so this configuration is supported.
I would starting looking at the FireFly6 configuration files and then adapt to your VTOL.

Regards,
Roman

@tumbili: are you sure ? The FireFly6 is a tiltrotor VTOL.
Would not it be easier to adapt the mixerfiles from a standard pusher VTOL ?

Rolf

@Rolf You are right about the geometry. My intention was to name an airframe configuration which uses both the main and the auxiliary pins of the Pixhawk and therefore, has to load two separate mixer files. This is obviously going to be necessary when you plan to use a standard vtol with 8 motors and additional control surfaces.

@tumbili

Just to clarify my understanding: why not adding an auxiliary mixer with “set MIXER_AUX name of the auxmixer” ?

@Rolf That’s exactly how you do it.

Thank you all, I will test as you suggested and share my feedbacks.

Regards

Frederic

Hi @Frederic_Chauvin! Was you able to make you x8 + Pusher VTOL make a proper transition from one flight mode to another?
I’m working on the same task and having problems with transition at the moment as I described here.

My thought is structurally, in an X configuration, you are making four more wings, reducing the craft’s efficiency and performance. In line or H configuration is more efficient.

I’m not saying don’t do it, i’m Guessing about your design and intent, just my observation from experience.