Pixraxer as a RACER

Gunnar, thanks for the report. I’ve recently observed the same problem with Acro mode that you describe here, and I’ve filed an issue to track the problem down.

Yeah, my experience with Acro has been similar so far. Not happy at all with the current state of the implementation.

We’re not going to pretend we’re racing experts (yet), so if you know developers who might be interested in this board / ecosystem (with a larger development community and things like Wifi behind it) - they would be very welcome.

Meanwhile we’re trying to get up to speed as fast as possible and Mark is making some very good comparisons of what we achieve right now vs. the state of the art, so I have no doubt he’ll fix this for good.

If I could also add somethings from my wish list

is first the ability to choose between two or more different PID controller. It depends if I fly a race, if I fly freestyle or I attache a mobius/gopro to my frame.
It would be nice to be able to choose easly (by stick combinations) the PID’s that I just need.

Second on my wish list is inflight tuning of PID srttings. A nob and a 3 way switch add/nothing/sub over osd would be nice but not a major request.

Third wish on my list is a blackbox to be able to see where I could tune my copter a better way.

Yes all these features are in cleanflight/betaflight and would be awesome to use theme here as well.

What I miss is a better documentation of all parameters in px4. What they do and what are they good for. Did I missed that?

Thanks, this is very helpful. We have worked out how to fix the acro performance and an update is in the works for today.

It would be fantastic if you could help us with flight testing these new settings:

To find these parameters, go to the param editor (bottom menu item in the setup screen), the click on Tools -> Search

We will also provide screenshots to make it easier.

i have much better acro mode behavior of my Spedix S250AQ with these parameter changes:
ATT_BIAS_MAX 0.0
MC_ROLLRATE_D 0.005
MC_ROLLRATE_I 0.1
MC_ROLLRATE_P 0.1
MC_PITCHRATE_D 0.005
MC_PITCHRATE_I 0.2
MC_PITCHRATE_P 0.1

The first one is critical, and increasing P and I gains improved the “heading lock” feel.
Let me know if this brings acro mode up to par for you, or whether you needed to tune the PID gains further.

I will test again as soon as weather permits. Sadly not the case this weekend, according to the forecast -.-

It will be great to get your feedback on this, and I hope that forecast is wrong.
May I ask how you modify parameters for PX4? Do you use QGC with a wifi connection, or some other method?
And have you tried the “Set to RC” feature to adjust gains from your TX?

I tried using QGC from an Android tablet via Wifi (ESP8266 on the Pixracer). That worked well enough for basic calibrations in the workshop, but the connection quality at the field was really bad, and it reported “vehicle failed to transmit full parameter list” and didn’t allow me to adjust anything as a result. As posted in the other thread, I suspect that was because the PX4 firmware was a couple days old on the Pixracer, and QGC on the tablet probably auto-updated in the meantime.

Haven’t used “Set to RC”, wasn’t aware that the option exists in PX4. Will check it out, having some pots/sliders for inflight value adjustment can be really helpful.

I have an old google Nexus 7 from 2012 and despite it having the GPS chip broken in it, it works good with the pixracer.
I just flashed the new version and set everything as noted above.
I hope there will be a chance of flying, because the forecast here in Northern Germany (Flensburg) is very bad with rain and wind 5-9BFT.
By the way, how do I know which firmware is installed on the pixracer?
Is there a CLI dump to quickly save and copy parameters to discussions?

There are two ways: You can upload a log file to http://logs.uaventure.com, which includes a param dump in the log. Or you use QGroundControl to save the parameters - that might not be available yet on mobile builds though.

Yes I know,that you can save parameters in qgc. What I want is to have a dump, that I can have a look at with e.g. notepad. Like the cli dump in cleanflight. Also uploading some parameters like in cleanflight.

QGC dumps them to a text file.

I don’t think there are currently any convenience tools to view or upload subsets of parameters from the savefiles. I wouldn’t recommend trying to use the CLI (nsh shell) load function though; just tried save/load to microSD and it seems to have corrupted my sensor calibration.

Update on loading parameters from stored file via NSH console. The warning messages seem to be bogus, my calibration parameters were not corrupted.

Hello,

i am finally ready for some acro and now run into this issue: copter does not hold angle that I put it in.

I re-flashed FC and set it as generic 250 as proposed. Still, copter does not hold angle that I put it in.

Does anybody else see this Problem?

Can you please re-visit this issue and solve.

Thanks

Please post a flight log.

Hi Mark,

I would like to send this privat. Where can I send you privat link?

Hello Mark,

does this help? http://logs.uaventure.com/view/RqbKHYy3ZAcv3zEDTAmjpj