Pixracer Feedback Thread

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever seen PX4 boot up in ā€œarmedā€ state. Please describe your hardware configuration in detail.

Pixracer with SD card, ACSP5, GPS, 4 small ESCs and T-motors, PWM to SBus, Multiplex RX, Bluetooth for NSH.
If I plug in the USB it boots up already armed, led solid blue and QGC tells me ā€œmanual flight mode, armedā€.
I will try a bit more with current master etc and create an issue for it if it persists.

Flashed current master, problem is the same.

changed airframe from ā€œGeneric 250 Racerā€ to ā€œGeneric Quad X configā€ and problems go away

looking at the startup code, the only difference between those 2 configs is that the Racer config sets some parameter values when you first select it and reboot (using QGC). If you then switch back to the Quad X config, absolutely nothing should change, as far as I can see. So the behavior differences you describe must be due to something else.

The arming issue came from the pwm to sbus converter. Everything is ok when it is not connected but as soon as I connect it (even without RX) the problems appear. I will debug it next week.

I have PX4 running on this board neat. Do you plan to implement USB passthrough anytime? BlHeli suite programming is so much simpler this way :slight_smile:
BR, Max

PS Is arming-on-a-switch a thing yet?

PixRacer V1 not detected by QGroundControl v.2.9.7b

With QGroundControl v.2.9.7 in Mac (Yosemite) I plugged the PixRacer v1 (code XR-V1) through USB. The PixRacer has a 8GB micro sd card (Fat32).

The PixRacer blinks yellow/red/orange then after a few seconds blinks blue. But the board is not detected so no Summary shows up. Under Firmware, it still tells me to plug in device. Hoping to flash board with PX4.

Any ideas? Thanks!

May sure you are using a good usb cable connected directly to you computer (not through a hub). And reboot your machine and try again.

Anybody here interested in trying to tune racing gains? Weā€™re pretty much set up for racing now, mostly needs good gains and some developers focusing on the racing aspects.

@LorenzMeier
Hello, count me in!
I have a Pixracer and a 11.5 thrust/weight racing creature for experiments and tuning.

I pulled this on betaflight last week : https://github.com/betaflight/betaflight/pull/893
I also lobbied raceflight devs and gave them target file : they should send back Pixracer bin within days.
I am motivated to both help tune Px4 and compare the stacks.

Did the RaceFlight devā€™s ever get the PixRacers that AUAV said they would shipped to them? I was in on all the email correspondence between all parties but havenā€™t received anything in a long time.

Iā€™m not part of that discussion. Note though that weā€™re interested here on Firmware development within the PX4 framework. There are already dozens of great boards and great racing codebases out there.

Our interest is to bring racing to a larger ecosystem and improve the overall outcome by combining forces. A port of the racing Firmware of your choice onto Pixracer is great, but its not going to be any different from existing racing boards.

What we want is a competition of estimator and control algorithms within a consistent ecosystem and codebase (which will make them comparable), not a competition of boards or codebases in a very fragmented fashion (like it is today).

And how does it looks like at the moment? How many do you have? What are the best ones at the moment. How dose the future looks like?

Until last few days RS2K from raceflight had not received the board from AUAV. Though, I provided him with the port files and he said he would integrate PXR in incoming betabuilds.

I understand this topic is about PX4 development itself and I am willing to help! I am deeply interested in Px4 potentially offering racing and autonomous features combined.

With my little awareness I believe that no board is currently supported by both ā€œDronecodeā€ (apm+px4) and xflight (clean/beta/race) stacks.
I think that Pixracer could possibly be the first platform on wich to conduct rigorous comparison of race-level control performance between each of those firmware. Specifically, comparing Nuttx against bare metal.

The PixRacer works great for me! I mounted it to a Blade 130x helicopter and managed to achieve attitude-stabilized flight, although I had to modify the control structure slightly.

1 Like

Nice! Could you send a pull request for that?

New PX4 feature for ā€œThrottle PID Attenuationā€ (similar to Cleanflightā€™s) ready for testing on beta and master.
There are two new parameters: MC_TPA_BREAK and MC_TPA_SLOPE, which correspond to the breakpoint and rate parameters in Cleanflight. Iā€™ve tested this on a Spedix S250AQ with a Pixracer: the S250 hovers (on 3S) at a throttle setting of 0.35, and I find that a break value of 0.4 and slope of 1.5 (this is the negative slope of the normalized thrust attenuation curve) eliminates the oscillations I was getting at high throttle values.
There will soon be special support for adjusting these new parameters in QGC, but they can currently be edited like any other parameter.

Iā€™d appreciate feedback from people flying PX4 FPV racers in acro or stabilized mode on whether oscillations have been a problem at high throttle, and what TPA parameter values work best for you.

Problems with new firmware/QGC in regard to arming and wifi (or more likely I need to tweak settings/paprameters). Last played with the quad in May/June and it was working fine. Now with QGC 3 and new firmware I canā€™t get it to arm (Iā€™ve never had the arming switch installed), and cannot connect via wifiā€¦PC and Android).
Iā€™ve searched around, however cannot find any answers other than a parameter may be required to implement the wifi. Or do I just need to go through the UDP settings?
Loz
Updateā€¦the ESP8266 firmware update 1.0.11 did not have a default UART value of 921600, so I managed to reset via ā€˜http://192.168.4.1/setparameters?baud=921600ā€™ and voila, connected to QGC and wifi bridge option is now back. Going to try different airframe options in case the arming parameter requires the switch.

Hi, Iā€™m trying to get my motors to run too (at all). They run fine when I connect them directly to the PWM of my RX, but do nothing when connected to the pixracer (they DO make the ready and armed sound though).

When I try to set PWM_MIN to 125 and/or PWM_MAX to 250 QGC gives me a warning that this is outside a range. Ie, for PWM_MIN I get ā€œValue must be within 800 and 1400ā€. There is a check box ā€˜Forceā€™ but that has added behind it that it is dangerous to use it. I used it anyway and set those values as you said, but that doesnā€™t help: motors still donā€™t run at all.

Please help :confused: