New Android Controller by SIYI

SIYI, a Shenzhen based hardware company, is launching a new drone controller

SIYI Smart Controller (Android OS / 7" High Brightness Touchscreen / Waterproof / 4G)

• IP67 Waterproof, Dual Color, Metallic Panel
  • 7" High Brightness Touchscreen, Android Operating System
  • Long Distance Android Video Transmission, HD FPV Camera, Navigation Light
  • Built-in GPS Module for Point Marker, 4G Wirelss Module and SD Card Slot

It can run QGC, and would love the community’s feedback.

7 Likes

The obvious questions are range (p2p, not 4G), how the 4G is routed/secured, ability to add and configure android apps, ability to feed video out, camera options, and screen brightness (and then price point).

Thanks for your questions @auturgy

1. the obvious questions are range (p2p, not 4G)
    A: The Range is up to 20 km in an unobstructed and free of interference field. In a common environment, it can easily exceed 10 km. Radiolink / Datalink / Videolink all at 2.4GHz.
  2. how the 4G is routed/secured
    A: Can you explain a little more about this question, please?
  3. ability to add and configure android apps
    A: ok for all android apps which are compatible with the OS
  4. ability to feed video out
    A: By far video is displaying in the built-in screen. Don’t worry, there will ports available in a further version.
  5. camera options
    A: 320p/480p/720p/1080p/custom
  6. and screen brightness
    A: Brightness up to 800 lm adjustable
  7. price point
    A: Price will be released shortly :slight_smile:

4G implies a networked connection. How is that network configured? Is the user expected to implement NAT traversal themselves? is this fixed to a preconfigured server? - if so, who controls/has access to that server? 4G has many variables beyond just has a sim card socket/cellular connection on the device, and a number of those impact the viability of this device in some markets.

This doesn’t answer the question. How is video fed to this system? HDMI? CSI? USB? Do some specific cameras offer some level of control?

1 Like

I would be interested in what processor is being used in the Android device.
(and price , which you indicated would be available soon)
Thanks

Thanks for the detail, anturgy. We will do more work learning the viability of 4G network in a worldwide range. By far, what we are sure that what we offer is a universal 4G module. Just imagine how your smartphone works.

HDMI & USB have been proved working well in SIYI DK32S Pro, an early videolink transmitter released by SIYI. We’ll check about CSI and other popular portals, then there will be a good answer.

Many thanks.

Unfortunately, I am not allowed to reveal the processor model. :sweat_smile:

SIYI team will always be open to any questions within the authority.

Yes - ok i understand. Please see my direct message.
Thanks
–iain

@SIYI @JingerZ

• Will QGroundControl have the same functionality as the PC version where both map and video screen can simultaneously be shown in switchable picture-in-picture mode?
  • Will it also be able to run other GCS apps like Mission Maker, Skydroid Tower, etc?
  • Will it be able to side load other apps not available from the Play Store?
  • Will this have its own receiver/air module that will have camera input to transmit video or will there be a separate video transmitter as optional equipment?
  • Will the Micro-USB port be able to accept an OTG UVC Receiver for regular 5.8 gHz video?
  • What’s the framerate range, i.e. max framerate for 320p, 480p, 720p, 1080p.
  • Is the receiver/air module programmable when used as SBUS for PWM outputs from Channel 10-16 ala FrSky X series receivers?
  • Is the datalink switchable for Pixhawk/Mavlink, DJI, etc.?
  • Will the datalink on the receiver/air module have the ability to integrate with MinimOSD to provide a HUD OSD on the Tx display?
  • Are the gimbals using pots or hall effect sensors? If pots, are they upgradable to hall sensors?
  • Are the gimbal spring tension adjustable to provide a “heavier” feel to the sticks?
  • Will it come with its own neck/shoulder strap?
  • Does it come with a battery and charger?
  • If it does, what type of battery and will the charge automatically turn off when the battery is fully charged?
  • How long does a single charge last?
  • Do you have demo units available for testing and evaluation?
  • When will this be available/ intended release?

Thanks.

Thanks for your post, @rollys
Sorry for the late reply, our team is busy working on the new project. I’ll try to answer most of your questions, however, some of them may require more time.

The receiver comes with the transmitter as a standard combo. The receiver is integrated with radiolink, datalink, and videolink as well.

By far, it is planned to have all four framerates (320p/480p/720p/1080p).

It does not support DJI flight controllers.

The transmitter has four hooks around the screen. It comes with a neck strap with SIYI branding.

It comes with a removable battery. No charger. You can charge the transmitter through a standard Micro-USB port.

@SIYI Just following up on the following unanswered questions. Looking forward for more info.

Thanks.

Any word when this unit will be available.

Will QGroundControl have the same functionality as the PC version where both map and video screen can simultaneously be shown in switchable picture-in-picture mode?

For now, we use an FPV app which can create a floating window on QGC or other ground station software. The window can be zoomed in and out.
Meanwhile, we have started to work intimately with QGC team to make switchable picture-in-picture FPV display work soon.

Will it also be able to run other GCS apps like Mission Maker, Skydroid Tower, etc?

Yes, as long as it can be run on Android

Will it be able to side load other apps not available from the Play Store?

Yes, of course

Will the Micro-USB port be able to accept an OTG UVC Receiver for regular 5.8 gHz video?

There’s already a 2.4G videolink integrated into the new controller, which is not likely to support other external video receivers at present.
If it is very necessary, we will consider it.

Is the receiver/air module programmable when used as SBUS for PWM outputs from Channel 10-16 ala FrSky X series receivers?

Sorry, it does not support receivers of any other brands

Will the datalink on the receiver/air module have the ability to integrate with MinimOSD to provide a HUD OSD on the Tx display?

Mini OSD is not integrated into the new controller

Are the gimbals using pots or hall effect sensors? If pots, are they upgradable to hall sensors?

For now, the gimbals are using pots. Gimbals using hall effect sensors are under developing and can be upgraded in the future.

Are the gimbal spring tension adjustable to provide a “heavier” feel to the sticks?

Yes, it is adjustable.

How long does a single charge last?

The new controller comes with a removable battery, which can be charged by a 5V/2A USB charger with automatic power-cut when its battery level is full. It takes 7 hours for one full charging.

Latest updates:
There will be an individual charger for sale, by which you can charge three of the remote controller batteries at the same time. It will take 4 hours for one full charging of all three batteries.

Do you have demo units available for testing and evaluation?

There’s already a sample brought to the PX4 event in Zurich last week by a friend. I am sure that some of the developers had reviewed the real sample. The feedbacks are positive.
If anyone would like to do some serious tests, please feel free to contact SIYI Technology.

When will this be available/ intended release?

The new model was finally released in 2019 Shenzhen UAV Show days ago, the first inventory was sold out quickly and the next bulk will come by the end of July. Please contact SIYI Tech to get in touch with the latest updates. @Rickyg32

@SIYI
Thanks for the update Frank.
I see the unit is the AK28. Is there pricing information on it and where one would purchase it. I ask because the buy now button just duplicates the page and does not give me the chance to pull up any information to buy one if I wanted to.
Also any details on the receiver and whether additional receivers will be available.
What type of camera is being used. I assume its an HD serial video camera. If so will other cameras be available.

https://www.rc-wing.com/siyi-ak28-agriculture-drone-transmitter-with-lcd-screen.html

found one. It’s a bit pricey.

Looks to be about in line with Herelink. Its real-world performance will be the “proof in the pudding”.

Ya I would love to get my hands on one. This is what I consider the way all controllers should go. Video on board. No separate devices cobbled together.

Some photos of the receiver
Thanks @SIYI

Seems this receiver supports three Serial HD cameras.

Some product sample photos.